Many universities and observatories offer summer vacation scholarships to science and engineering students in their third or honours year of studies. Scholarships are generally offered for between 6 and 12 weeks over the summer vacation period.
Summer vacation scholarships are offered by:
- Australian Astronomical Observatory, Sydney. The AAO offers 10-12 week scholarships available during December to February (as well as winter scholarships during June to September). The scholarship comes with a weekly stipend and rental allowance, plus travel support for Australian and NZ students. Applications close 31 August (summer) and 15 February (winter).
- Australian Gemini Undergraduate Scholarships, Chile. The Australian Gemini Office offers Undergraduate Scholarships for students to spend 10 weeks during December to February at the Gemini South observatory in Chile. Applicants must be enrolled at an Australian university. Airfare, medical insurance and a weekly stipend is included in the scholarship. Applications close 31 August.
- CSIRO Space and Astronomy offers 10 week undergraduate scholarships from November to February. Scholarships include a weekly stipend, travel support and observing with one of our facilities. Applications open each July through the CSIRO Careers site: https://www.csiro.au/en/careers
- ICRAR, Perth. The International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR) offer 10 week studentships over December to February. The scholarships come with a stipend, a travel allowance, and a rental subsidy.
- Macquarie University, Sydney. Macquarie University offers summer vacation research scholarships for 6-7 weeks. The scholarship includes a weekly stipend and travel support.
- RSAA, Mt Stromlo & Siding Spring. The Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics (RSAA) offers Summer Research Scholarships for 8-12 weeks over the summer. The scholarship includes full-board accommodation, a weekly stipend and travel costs.
- Swinburne University, Melbourne. The Swinburne Centre for Astrophysics & Supercomputing offers 6-10 week vacation scholarships at any time throughout the year. For summer scholarships during December to February, applications close 30 September. The scholarship includes a weekly stipend, plus a travel allowance.
- University of New South Wales. UNSW offers 6 week research projects to Australian and NZ students. The scholarships, which are offered by the Science Faculty, come with a stipend and travel allowance. Applications close in September.
- University of Sydney, Sydney. The University of Sydney offers 6 week vacation scholarships during December to March. The scholarship includes a weekly stipend. Applications close in September.