La Trobe University
- Astronomy and Space: The Infinite Frontier (1st Year / non-specialist)
For enquiries, please e-mail: Dr. Ron Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- ASP1010 Earth to Cosmos (1st Year / introduction)
- ASP1022 Life and the Universe (1st Year)
- ASP2011 Astronomy (2nd Year)
- ASP2062 Introduction to astrophysics (2nd Year)
- ASP3012 Stars and galaxies (3rd Year)
- ASP3051 Relativity and cosmology (3rd Year)
- MTH3360 Fluid dynamics (3rd Year)
- ASP3222 Physics for astrophysics (3rd Year)
- ASP3231 Observational astronomy (3rd Year)
In addition students are required to take a selection of pure maths and physics courses depending on the stream (Astronomy or Astrophysics).
Further study in astrophysics is available within the honours program offered by the School of Mathematical Sciences.
For enquiries, please e-mail email@example.com
Swinburne University of Technology
Swinburne also offers a fully online postgraduate coursework degree program in astronomy. Swinburne Astronomy Online (SAO) includes a Graduate Certificate, a Graduate Diploma and a Masters of Science degree.
Subjects offered include:
- HET602 – Exploring the Solar System
- HET603 – Exploring Stars and the Milky Way
- HET606 – Tools of Modern Astronomy
- HET607 – History of Astronomy
- HET608 – Introductory Radio Astronomy & SETI
- HET609 – Astrophotography and CCD Imaging
- HET610 – Studies in Space Exploration
- HET611 – Stellar Astrophysics
- HET612 – MP: History of Astronomy
- HET614 – Introduction to Particle Physics and High Energy Astrophysics
- HET615 – MP: Observational Astronomy
- HET616 – Great Debates in Astronomy
- HET617 – MP: Computational Astrophysics
- HET618 – Astrobiology and the Origins of Life
- HET619 – MP: Astronomy & Astrophysics
- HET620 – Planetary Science
- HET624 – Galaxies and their Place in the Universe
- HET625 – Cosmology and the Large-scale Structure of the Universe
Information on topics each of these subjects, as well as reading lists and instructor biographies are available from the SAO course unit information page.
As part of Swinburne Astronomy Online, Swinburne offer an Astronomy Online Short Course. This is a non-assessed, non-degree program for information purposes only.
University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne offers a range of astronomy and astrophysics subjects within the Bachelor of Science and during the honours year. Postgraduate studies can be completed at the Ph.D, M.Sc. and Graduate Diploma levels.
- PHYC10008 From the Solar System to the Cosmos (1st Year)
- MULT10011 Introduction to Life, Earth and Universe (1st Year)
- PHYC30014/5 Laboratory Work A/B (3rd Year)
- PHYC30019 Astrophysics (3rd Year)
The honours project is based in one of the group’s research areas:
- Formation and evolution of galaxies
- Gravitational Lensing
- Physics of Compact Objects
- Gravitational waves
See the Astrophysics department website for further information.
The Community Access program allows any member of the general public to study subjects offered at the University of Melbourne without enrolling in a degree or alternative course of study. Visit the CAP website for more general information on this program.
For more information contact Rachel Webster (firstname.lastname@example.org).