Light pollution is a serious problem for optical astronomy. Various groups are working lobby for better outdoor lighting strategies to reduce light pollution.
- Campaign for Dark Skies – campaigning to stop light pollution in the UK by the British Astronomical Society.
- International Dark-Sky Association – working to preserve and protect the night-time environment and our heritage of dark skies through quality outdoor lighting.
- Light Pollution in Canberra – by the Canberra Astronomical Society.
- Light pollution information – by the Astronomical Society of South Australia.
- Light Pollution – by the Astronomical Society of Victoria.
- Sydney Outdoor Lighting Improvement Society (SOLIS) – are working to bring to a standstill the increasing sky glow at night over urban areas.